Greenkeeper Dave Stone and his team share their seasonal planned maintenance updates for the course.
Dave and his team take care of the golf course, to keep it in optimum condition for golf play. Here is the list of planned course maintenance - do bear in mind that this may need to change if the weather is bad, so keep an eye on our social media for the very latest updates.
Planned works for April - June 2022
We have invested in a new tractor and an all-terrain compact mower to make sure that we have the course in great shape as we host the Bournemouth Open Golf Festival in June.
This season, we will undertake routine maintenance works including
- Grass cutting
- Verticutting (allows the turf to breathe easier and to better absorb important nutrients)
- Tee repairs
- Aeration to grass
- Fertiliser application to the greens (and topsoil, if needed)
Works undertaken January - March 2022
- Drainage works on the 8th green completed. However, the green remains out of play as we are working on the playing surface to apply a top dressing and seeding the green. We aim to have this back in play by 1 March.
- Spring renovations took place from 28 Feb for approximately 2 weeks - hollow tineing, top dressing ,seeding, and a fertiliser application .
- Monthly solid tine aeration to improve drainage and to exchange soil gases.
- Monthly feed to improve grass health and vigour, this would consist of a low nitrogen fertiliser and turf enhancer.
- Monitoring of any pest or disease and treat where applicable.
- Clean out the main drainage ditch with a back actor to improve site drainage.
- Bunker re-alignment and where applicable topped up with new sand.
- Winter mats reset into new frames.
- Peripheral overhanging vegetation cut back on selected holes.
- Top dress greens and tees to improve surface levels (if applicable and weather dependent).
From 5 September 2022: two-week programme, graden (deep scarification), dress and fertilise.
From February 2023: an expected two-week programme, hollow tine, dress and fertilise.
If you have any specific questions or comments regarding the golf course maintenance plan, please contact the golf team.